The different types of distance based networks are PAN, LAN, CAN, MAN & WAN.
The approximate maximum distance between any two communicating computers for each of the networks is given below:
- PAN (Personal Area Network) – Few meters (within a room, home)
- LAN (Local Area Network) – < 1 km (Intra–Floor, Building)
- CAN (Campus Area Network) – 5 to 10 kms (Within a Campus)
- MAN (Metropolitan Area Network) – within 10 km (Intra-City)
- WAN (Wide Area Network) – > 10 Kms (Inter-City, Inter-National, Inter-Continental)